Robert Morgan awarded FDIS Diploma in Fire Doors
Robert our technical manager has just been awarded a diploma in Fire Doors by FDIS (Fire Door Inspection Scheme). This diploma demonstrates that his knowledge of fire doors is to a defined industry standard, and that he is an acknowledged professional in this field.
The education programme he has taken part in has been researched and authored by industry experts in their specific fields, and leading members of the BWF-CERTIFIRE Scheme and GAI (the two leading authorities on fire doors and their components).
The programme he studied covers:
- Foundation module – provides a basic understanding of fire doors and their components, including testing and certification, regulations and standards, inspection and maintenance.
- Timber fire doors and frames – provides a more detailed look at timber fire and escape doorsets, their construction, installation and functional performance.
- Metal fire doors – provides information on how steel doors differ from timber doors, how they are tested, glazed, installed and maintained.
- Glazing – provides detailed guidance on the different types of fire resistant glass, glazed apertures, glazing retention systems and beading and the importance of getting it right.
- Seals – provides detailed information on the function and technology of intumescent, acoustic and smoke seals, how they’re identified and installed.
- Ironmongery and signage (Part 1) – covers why each type of ironmongery is essential, critical issues about installation, how to check it is functioning correctly and when the item should be replaced.
- Ironmongery and signage (Part 2) – covers essential and non-essential ironmongery, the requirements for panic escape mechanisms and signage on fire doors.